Well hello there.
It’s been awhile, hasn’t it? Vacation week+ went by in a flurry. Back to the grind. Honestly I didn’t get much done on vacation. It was a fantastic escape from all things FIRE. Regardless, here’s a few things I did!
Things I did to propel myself to FIRE
- Signed up for Magic Jack to replace our home phone. TBD EXACTLY how much I will save, but I believe it is significant. I’m also going to cut the cable cord forever. DAMN you, evil un-named large Canadian ISP, for making the bundle cheaper than just internet and home phone!
- Got Google Adsense and Amazon Associates accounts up and running properly on the blog. Hurray!
- Progressed slightly in the $500 challenge
- Signed up for Usertesting.com. Completed my first, second, and third test!
- Signed M up for a slightly less expensive after school program. It won’t save much (about $30 per month) but I am counting it.
I’m really looking forward to putting more time into my FIRE efforts for the remainder of the month and into September. I still need to make over $300 to meet the goal of the $500 challenge! So, onward and upward, I always say.
I hope you are progressing well in your efforts. I’m quickly coming up on 1 year of FIRE, and thinking about how to illustrate my progress on the blog for myself and others. More thought needs to go into that for sure. I think comparing key metrics like net worth, dollars saved, expenses reduced, etc. will be much easier to pull now that I’m using YNAB and tracking what is saved and spent. I think this will also help me fine tune my actual FIRE numbers in terms of what I will need to save to get there and what I can commit to in the future.
2 Replies to “Irregular FIRE Report – Mid-August, 2019”
You’re doing great! All these little savings add up over time.
We switched from a Telus landline to VoIP service with Fongo and Telus internet to Lightspeed.
It’s been at least a couple of years and we’re very happy with the services. On Telus we paid around $40/month for the landline and now we pay $5.55 for Fongo. For Telus internet, we used to pay $60-$90/month and now we pay $44.75.
It’s totally worth looking into these things and switching!
Hmmm…I’ll have to check fongo! I can still cancel my Magic jack for a couple more weeks. We don’t have Telus internet but usually I can get a better price on Internet by pitching the other 2 big companies against each other. The small fries around here are DSL so I don’t think I can go back to that from Fiber Internet!! Thanks for the tip on Fongo.